Friday 14 July 2017

First solo cruise, from Sassnitz to ... Sassnitz - 12 July 2017

Alone for 2 days, I decided to go from Sassnitz to Ralswiek alone. Forty-two nautical miles by sea, but only 13 km by land. I prepared yesterday by biking there and ensuring a nice alongside place at a pier!


Departing by 8, but taking one hour to get off the "poles", a very tricky manoeuvre for a single crew with a bit of wind.  I never arrived in Ralswiek...

All started well, with west wind 6 m/s on that side of the island well protected by the cliffs. On main sail only to go slow ans admire the landscape.


The picture below is a stitching of 3 pictures showing the east point of the island.




Passing along Viktoriasicht and Königsstuhl, where the pictures were taken yesterday.

Viktoriasicht and Königsstuhl (from left to right)

Königsstuhl
The ride to enter Rügen inwaters went well with winds around 12 m/s. Lots of cresting waves at the entry point as the water is getting very shallow.

Now, what happened...

I prepared the day using Garmin on my iPad, which I love since it includes Denmark, and which is not the case with Navionics. At Wittower Färhe, there is a high electric power cable, with 21 metre air clearance. It appears clearly on the Navionics chart, but no mention of the cable or clearance on Garmin (I clicked everywhere), except the two poles along the dashed line crossing the sound. I would have preferred 18 metre clearance, as there would have been no hesitation. Twenty-one meter, with a 21 metre mast made me hesitate. What about going on the side where the cable will be higher?  But very shallow waters with depth passing from 6 metres to 2 metres very rapidly. I finally reverted and came back all the way to Sassnitz!

Garmin                                                                                    Navionics
This gave me the opportunity to watch the cliffs at the sunset as well, which was very nice!



The video summary...



1 comment:

  1. you need absolutely more than 21m air draft! no hesitation!
    Nice pictures but video private
    François

    ReplyDelete