Sunday 2 August 2015

Greet Åke or Ädla when sailing in Sweden

In a previous post, I was presenting Siarö fortet, where I had taken the picture below. Out of curiosity, I tried to verify what the flags were indicating...


A quick search on the Internet allowed me to decipher the start: S I A R. But quid of the last flag? It had to be Ö as I was in Siarö. But this needed to be checked. The Internet did not provide insight. A search for Svenska alfabet did not find either a meaningful match. However, a picture search did find a few matches:


But no Ö!

Puzzled, I decide to go to the Maritime museum in Stockholm to find-out... Tyvär, no way to find any information, nor anyone who has an idea. Until I get out through the shop, where one can find nice pairs of cufflinks on sales. Forget about Y and Z if you are Yves or Zoé. But if you are Åke or Ädla, you will be able to fin the proper cufflinks with your initials!

The door handle at the museum
The cufflinks at the shop!
Find below the three added letters in the Swedish alphabet. Note that Å is pronounced as the O in French, Ä as the È and Ö, as the Œ. For the Swedes, these are not accentuated letters, but different letters listed last in the alphabet. The difference between A and Ä is therefore greater than between A and Z...

For those of you who would want to greet Åke when sailing here, here are the three flags that you need to add.

ÅÄÖ




No comments:

Post a Comment